Remodeling continues…

02.17.2008 | 11:50 am | Bathroom Renovation

The next step was to raise the shower floor to match the level of the floor the tub sat on. Here my neighbor Ricardo is trowelling the cement smooth.


We filled in the old shower floor with cement and left it overnight to set up.


The next day I worked on getting the new pipes lined up since we replaced the copper with PVC.


I needed a “curb” between the new shower floor and the bathroom floor, so Ricardo created one with two 2×4’s by nailing them to the floor with his handy dandy nail gun. The right tool for the right job… Once that was nailed down, I covered it on 3 sides with the cement board. (Note, this picture shows the curb after the plastic shower pan was in place.)


Then we cleaned up the floor really good and put down the plastic shower pan. The final cement floor will be poured on top of the plastic.


To ensure that none of the shower water goes anywhere but down the drain, the shower pan sheeting is secured under the drain flange.


I had to work on the walls next. We are using Hardibacker cement board instead of drywall since it is extremely water resistant. The Hardi boards have to be put up before the final cement floor can be poured. First I cut the blue foam insulation sheets and glued them to the wall with Liquid Nails.


Then I began cutting the cement board and screwing it to the walls. When cutting cement board with my circular saw, I had to get the special blade for cutting this stuff. It throws out HUGE amounts of dust, so I cut it in my garage with a box fan turned on high and pointed out the garage door so that it would blow most of the dust out onto the driveway where I can just hose it down when I am done.


Here I have most of the outside wall done, with just a few trim pieces left to put up.



Once I have the showed heads lined up right and secured to the wall, I can proceed with putting the rest of the cement board up on the remaining 2 walls.

Surprise, Surprise!!

02.14.2008 | 11:50 pm | Bathroom Renovation

I had noticed that the grout in the master shower was cracking a bit, so I decided to chisle it out and regrout. But, when I started to remove the old grout, the tiles started falling off the walls. Lo and behold, I found that we had a leak, and all the drywall had gotten soaked up to about 4 feet off the floor, and black mold had started growing. So, the only answer was to pull all the tile off the walls and rip down the bad drywall and do the whole job over again.




Needless to say, I think this was part of the reason that I have been having more than the usual allergy problems.

I called a neighbor of mine who does remodeling and home repairs, and asked him if he could stop by and give me an estimate on what it would cost to repair it. During his visit, my wife revealed our wish to just remodel the whole thing. He generously offered to give me a hand with it if I was willing to do most of the work.

We had originally wanted to remodel the bathroom anyway and pull the tub and make a huge walk-in shower with dual heads, so now seemed as good a time as any to do that.

We tried to pry the tub off the floor and found that the builder had set the tub on a big blob of cement, so we had to use an 8 foot 2×4 to pry it off. I spent 2 days with an air chisel getting the leftover cement off the floor.


More to follow…